A week of Poirot and Amino.
I was supposed to type this literally a week ago but never got around to doing so while overseas. One can give excuses I guess, but in the end I didn’t put time to writing it back then so I’m writing it now.
Probably the latest RwR being a whole week behind schedule, so this is more of a re-cap than anything.
How I had been…
- Health improved dramatically once I had reached Perth on Wednesday evening because I got a lot more sleep in say, four days than four weeks back in Singapore.
- Which goes to show how many health problems are caused by poor sleep quality, which in turn is caused by sleeping late. Even if I get 9 hours of sleep, 9 hours from 12-9am feels much better than 9 hours from 2-11am.
- Perhaps it also is the effect of switching to glasses that have blue light filters in the lens. Would recommend doing so for anyone having trouble sleeping early due to usage of electronics prior to sleeping.
- Had a bit of flu upon arrival in Perth, but thankfully it cleared up and I was healed over a couple of days.
- Wasn’t very engaged before and during the first half of the holiday – was watching a lot of Agatha Christie’s Poirot on Youtube which was fantastic and the first half of the holiday was mostly spent traveling to places in the car so yeap.
- Regretfully I also should have spent more time keeping my mind productively occupied but failed to do so for most of the holiday.
- Things were pretty flat until the trip, then there was a sharp drop after an argument over pointless things before it slowly but surely improved.
- Loneliness once again lurked and took its toll – one feels that they could have done better if they had spent more time alone in prayer with God while in the car, not so much on Amino.
- Pretty much spent most of my time on Amino trying to assuage afore-mentioned feelings, with varying degrees of success.
- Nothing much irl as usual until we visited a small, humble church (St. Hilda’s Anglican Church) in the sleepy town of Pemberton on Sunday for their fortnightly service – it was most encouraging, and I had a really good chat with an old guy that still was sharp as ever. The minister’s husband, I believe. Learnt what little could be learnt from a short hour-long conversation, more about a person’s humility than any particular career achievements despite him being someone of position.
- [BGR]: Totally not on my mind last week as well – one sees a lot of online “relationships” on Amino, but they don’t go anywhere. And for me, I contented myself with observing and occasionally chatting, yet nothing ever approached the threshold of seriousness.
- Most regrettably, the first half of the trip did not coincide with an improved WwG with the exception of the church visit when there was a good sermon preached.
- That encouraging and thought-provoking sermon aside, the warm spiritual community and familiarity of other Christians, yet within a novel setting of an unfamiliar church, did wonders to my malnourished soul.
- Unfortunately this should have been the case even before the church visit, but that was how it went…
- Character improvements:
- Some minor progress was made in a few aspects, but stagnation in others.
- One sees the blueprint forward, but yet it is most difficult to take the road God calls one upon still. So it’s not just a question, sometimes, of ‘Show me the path and I will go.’ Sometimes even when the path is there, one finds it most difficult to take the first step, and keep continuing, when the wide road which leads nowhere is easier to travel upon.
- Not much hobbies done during travels, didn’t bring anything to do along.
- Gamed a bit before flying but that’s about it.
- Random thoughts:
- “A church doesn’t have to be big and flashy to do God’s work. Even small, humble parishes such as this where the total attendance can be counted on two hands show God’s love so well.”
- “Romans 5:6-8 is really encouraging. God doesn’t wait for one to become perfect, and so we should take care not to use imperfection as an excuse for not helping others.”
- “Our lack of intimacy with God causes a void that we try to fill with the frailest of substitutes.” Yep.
- Week ahead:
- Pretty much the week I’ve just had. Finishing up the holiday, unpacking, then re-packing for a camp the following week.
- Prayer for upcoming week:
- Would be prayer for this week. Hm….to walk closely with God, and to delight in His Presence.